Furnace Maintenance Season
Monday marked the end of our air conditioner maintenance season and we are now turning our attention to that furnace. While it may yet be too warm to start cranking up the heat, it never hurts to be prepared! Keep reading for a few important things to think about before switching that thermostat from cool to heat.
- Check those batteries – The changing of seasons is a great time to check the batteries in all CO monitors and in your thermostat! Most homeowners already check their smoke alarm every season, so be sure to add the thermostat and CO monitor to that list!
- Covering that AC – Around this time of year customers often ask if we recommend covering their outside AC unit during the winter. In our expert opinion it can cause more harm than good – your air conditioner is made to withstand the weather outside, putting a cover on it can cause condensation to form leading to rust. It can also cause high head pressures which will cause a lot of damage to the system. If you happen to have a heat pump, then you know your air conditioner can kick on during the winter months, which makes it extra important to not cover it! If you are worried about the unit becoming dirty, don’t worry! A Chapman technician will clean all of the debris out during your spring maintenance.
- Why is it smelly? – The first time you turn your furnace on for the year can stink up your house a little, but this is normal! It’s important to remember the furnace hasn’t been running all summer and collecting dust, it can take a few minutes for it to burn off. However – if this smell continues and becomes concerning, we recommend giving a professional at Chapman a call.
- Turn up the humidity – In order to keep your home from becoming overly dry in the winter months, it’s important to make sure the humidifier is in good working order. As part of your annual maintenance our technicians will look over your humidifier as well!
- Just a little TLC – Maintenance is a great thing! Maintenance can keep your heating and cooling system clean and efficient throughout the entire year. If you are part of the Chapman Family Comfort Club then all you have to do is give us a call twice a year for maintenance and we will take care of the rest!
We hope these tips help you and your family stay warm as we make our way into the cooler months! Contact us today to learn more!