Save Energy in the New Year!
As far as resolutions go, there are a wide array of things we can work to improve in the new year. Here at Chapman, we would like to offer one that may not have been on your list yet. In 2019, our challenge to you is a resolution to save on your energy bills.
Everyone knows that energy costs will always be on the rise. This is something that we have little to no control over. How much energy we use in our homes however, is something that we can control.
The best way to take charge and really make a difference in your home is to first educate yourself on ways to save. A home energy audit is a great way to do this. The advantage of starting with a home energy audit is that it may audit will qualify you for rebates through your utility providers, and in some cases state and federal programs too! There are some great ways that you can save energy all on your own too. Here are some common things our Home Performance Advisor, Tony, finds all the time.
- Windows that are left open. Now, we know it sounds crazy, but he finds open windows all of the time. Usually the top pane of a double-hung windows. Check to make sure you’re not spending energy trying to heat the outside.
- Water heaters that are set too high. “High” is considered anything above 120˚ to 125˚F. Adjust the dial on your water heater to make sure your system is running efficiently.
- Incandescent bulbs. Incandescent is defined as light from heat. About 80% of the energy used by these bulbs are heat and the other 20% light. Making the switch to LED bulbs can dramatically reduce the amount of energy you are using in your home.3
If you are looking for other ways to save, call Chapman to schedule your home energy audit today!